Sveti Stefan is a resort in Montenegro, located on the Adriatic coast, on the Budva Riviera. It is known as a place where a lot of celebrities took rest. Bobby Fischer, Sophia Loren, Claudia Schiffer, Sylvester Stallone and Kirk Douglas hired apartments here in different years. This place seems stuck in the Middle Ages but rooms in hotels are well-equipped.
Places of interest in Sveti Stefan
One of the main points of interest on the island is the villa Miločer. It was built in 1934 and was the summer residence of the King of Montenegro. Near the villa you can see two beaches with pink sand – the King’s beach (you have to pay 50-70 euros as an entrance fee) and the Queen’s beach, which is generally closed to the general public and is intended only for holidaymakers living in the villa.
Except the villa Miločer, you can see:
- The villa “21”, which is the most expensive on the Adriatic coast. The cost of apartments here is generally determined only by the auction and reaches colossal sums.
- Miločer Park is located just 500 meters from Sveti Stefan. It attracts the attention of tourists with an amazingly beautiful botanical garden, the area of which reaches 18 hectares. There grow a lot of exotic plants from America, Asia and Africa, for example, cacti and tropical mimosa. Also there is a beautiful monument, created by Mother Nature – the Durmitor mountain group.
- There are 3 old churches on the island, which are devoted to Saint Stephen, to the Dormition of the Mother of God and to Alexander Nevsky.
Usually the island is closed to people which are not hotel’s guests. But if you want to visit wonderful Sveti Stefan, you should come here on August 28. It’s the day of the Dormition of the Mother of God and admission is free because of celebration.
Holidays in Sveti Stefan
Like all the people in the Balkans, Montenegrins like to make festivals and have a good time. Some of their favorite holidays are:
- The day of the Holy Prophet Jeremiah (May 14). On this day girls with sheep bells sing “Jeremiah songs”. These girls are usually called queens or empresses.
- Independence Day (May 21). On this day in 2006 the country became an independent state following a referendum. It’s one of the most important holidays in Sveti Stefan and whole Montenegro.
- Day of statehood (July 13). On that day in 1941 began an uprising against occupation by Italian authorities.
Except for political and religious holidays in Sveti Stefan, there are a lot of cultural events. For example, Spring Carnival in Budva which is situated a short distance away from the island. Carnival does not have any traditional roots, it is intended primarily for tourists. The holiday creates an atmosphere of relaxation and pleasure. The carnival is held in the spring and lasts three days. Dates of the festival are always different. All this time there are festive processions, participants of the carnival are dressed in traditional costumes.
There are not so many holidays in Sveti Stefan but each of them is full of joy and national spirit. If you want to visit other festivals, just rent a car and full speed ahead!